Sunday, April 6, 2008

178th General Conference


Okay, I just wanted to get in a few thoughts about General Conference the past couple of days since I consider blogging to be my "journaling" (I know many of you probably think its a cop-out but otherwise, it just doesn't happen). Anyways, I was very excited this conference and I'm not really sure why but it might have been because I had attended the temple the week prior and felt ready for it or maybe that I was going to get to sustain (I know they can't actually SEE my hand but it still feels good to raise it!) and listen to our new prophet, Thomas S. (I found out the "S" stands for Spencer, just a random tidbit) Monson or it could also have been because I actually remembered that there were Saturday sessions and that I had decided to watch ALL of conference this year. For whatever reason, I was stoked!

President Thomas S. Monson

So, in our ward one of the stake leaders challenged us to think of some things beforehand that we wanted advice on, or that we wanted answers to, or that we needed help with and then listen to every talk with those things in mind. Jon and I sat down the night before and figured out two things to think of- one of them for both of us was to learn to be happy with what we have, and the other one for me was to be happy with who I am.

So on Saturday, Gerald Lund gave a talk about opening our hearts to the Holy Ghost and in part of it he said that we needed to set our hearts on spiritual things rather than on material things or what man thinks (not exact quote). He said that when we seek to gratify pride we desensitize our hearts to the Spirit. I know for me that it is so important that I have that open communication with the Spirit as I raise my children in the gospel and I want to really learn to find joy and contentment in all the amazing blessings and comforts that I enjoy!

On Sunday, my second thought was fulfilled and more in Elder M. Russel Ballard's beautiful talk on mothers. I felt like my Heavenly Father was telling me through his servant that He loved and appreciated me- I can't express how moved I was by the Spirit during this talk! Elder Ballard asked the question: What can you do as a young mom to reduce pressure and find joy in motherhood? He answered that we should appreciate all the little moments and slow down from the autopilot of just getting things done. I definitely struggle with this; clean house or happy kids? Second, he recommended that we don't over schedule; that kids and moms need unstructured time to play, listen, laugh, teach... I'm not too bad with this but sometimes find it hard to "play" for long periods of time with three little boys who want to play cars constantly! Third, he admonished us to avoid television, surfing the Internet, and recommended we pray, study the scriptures and the gospel. New resolution- no internet or TV for me when the boys are awake. Fourth, he warned against substance abuse-that it won't help us. Bye-bye cherry coke zero... I felt the Spirit whispering to me so strongly that I know that this talk was an answer to so many of my prayers. It showed me that although I have some things to change that I am doing great and that my work is sacred and important to my Father in Heaven. I feel recharged!!

Some other good stuff:
Elder Tom Perry- create a clear and true picture of eternal life in your mind so that it will make righteous living more desirable as we head to somewhere we yearn to go.
Elder Bednar- missionaries are full-time teachers and we are full-time finders.

I am so grateful for our prophet, the 12 apostles and the quorum of the 70s- that I may receive revelation in these latter days that help give me hope, strength to endure, faith, and joy in this lonely and tough mortal existence.


NOTE: All talks were paraphrased into my own words.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Sarah, thanks for leaving your thoughts about conference, I completely missed that we were asked by the stake to think of thinkgs we needed answers on. I must have had a crying kid at that moment. What a great idea though! I will do it next time!

Sharing a little piece of us with you...