Anyways, Kai and I flew first to VA where my grandparent's live. We hung out at there house with two of my aunts and their kids for a couple of days; waiting for my dad to fly in. After that, we drove south to N. Carolina for a relaxing week on Lake Gaston (my great aunt has a lake house). We went boating, tubing, kayaking, swimming, floating, rope swinging, relaxing, relaxing, relaxing!! Kai was totally spoiled by all his adoring family members and I got a much needed break. It was so great to spend time with my dad's side of the family, whom I see very rarely. Two major highlights for me were chatting with the "girls" (my aunts) until late into the night and trying to take a shower in a trickle of water (who needs a shower anyways!). Thanks Aunt Olive for putting us up!!
Sunset shot from Olive's inlet out to the lake.
Isabelle, Lauren and Katy (my cousins) tubing.
Kai with the oldies (ha-ha) on the sunset cruise.
The kids talked me into trying out the rope swing
(by the the third try- I didn't look like a complete idiot).
To keep his mind off the fact that he had to wear a girlie life jacket; they let Kai drive the boat- after a minute of wondering where his mom was, he decided that driving was much more fun!
Kai and I with my Grandma and his GG.
We loved floatin' around!
After our leisurely week at Gaston, we drove up to Washington DC for my cousin Faith's wedding; where we met up with more family. Although the wedding was unbearably hot, it was beautiful and of course the blushing bride (seriously, it was that hot) was gorgeous! Her beau, Blake was a sweetheart and had a great, very likable family so the wedding was pleasant.
The ceremony (in which I heard only bits and pieces because my "perfect" baby cried the whole time).
Uncle Bob and his beautiful little girl.
4 Generations (Dad, Grandad, Me & Kai)
My cousin's Dan & Nate with Grandpa
My dad and his 4 sisters: Caroline, Sue, Anne and Liz.
Blake & Faith's big exit.
After the wedding we had a nice dinner and spent some time catching up with our world traveling family. I have the most spectacular family! I wish Faith and Blake a very happy marriage and can't wait to see you two in OK soon.
Kai's cheezy smile.
Aunt Anne, Aunt Caroline and Lauren lounging at the hotel.
Aunt Liz and Uncle Dave came all the way from Austria!
Anne, Sue, Liz, and mom.
The twins- SUPERSTAR!
The next morning my mom, Kai and I headed to DC for some sight-seeing. I wish that I could have had another few days there; it was an awesome (and humbling) experience. The war memorials brought tears to my eyes and the Lincoln memorial (along with the Declaration of Independence written on the wall) made my heart swell with gratitude and patriotism. I am definitely putting this destination on my list of must-sees with my children; it was a very powerful experience!
The White House.
My cousin Claire and I in front of the Lincoln Memorial.
WWII Memorial
After checking out some of the memorials and the White House; we headed to the Mall for a little museum hopping. We didn't have much time so we just went into the Smithsonian, the Museum of Natural History, and one of the art museums. I got to see some real live Monet and Van Goh and I even found out that my most favorite painting (The Great Wave by Katsushika Hokusai) is held there, but unfortunately not displayed because it's on paper.
Natural History Museum.
Cooling off in a fountain.
Monet!
Van Goh!
The Capital.
After walking around for 8+ hours we decided to call it a day (a LONG day). We headed to Union Station to take the Metro back to our hotel area...unfortunately, we had arrived at another metro station 12 blocks away so although we could have just taken a one way metro to that station then transfer, we decided we could do the walk...my poor feet :) Oh well, all the feet soreness was well worth it- what an enlightening day!
1 comment:
wow, what an awesome experience!!
Post a Comment